Our principles and core values
Truth Pharm’s highest principle is the saving of lives, and giving dignity to all individuals who suffer from substance use disorder. To this end, we value all harm reduction principles. Our goal is to reduce the number of people who develop substance use disorders (SUDs), to live in a world in which a person with substance use disorder can readily obtain effective treatment and live without prejudice or judgment, and to examine the underlying causes and effects of the disease.
We believe and operate with the following assumptions as our core values:
- That mental illness and SUD are conditions that can cause or lead to death, and people who suffer from such deserve the same level of medical response as other life threatening medical conditions.
- Opioid addiction and heroin addiction are different from other addiction diseases.
- All treatment modalities are equally acceptable if they help a person live without the heroin/opiates that damage health and quality of life.
- SUD often causes a person’s brain to ‘not want to get well’, and therefore it is not reasonable to expect a person to ‘want treatment badly enough.’
- SUD harms a person’s judgment and motivation which may impact his/her ability to follow through on prescribed methods of treatment.
- SUD is a treatable but potentially chronic condition that requires long term treatment and support.
- Although faith may be an important part of recovery for some individuals, religious or ‘higher power’ programs should not be a required form of treatment.
- A person should not be required to abstain from all substances to obtain treatment for heroin/opioid addiction.
- SUDs are not an indication of a moral failing and should not be criminalized.
- Persons with SUDs may require long term treatment, solutions, accommodations and require special attention by medical practitioners in addressing other medical issues.
- All medical professionals should be aware of treatment options so that they can appropriately advise their patients with SUD.
- Opioid addiction holds the most direct link to heroin addiction.